The Graduate School/Caspersen School of Graduate Studies

The Graduate School/Caspersen School of Graduate Studies

The Graduate School was founded in 1955.  A preliminary announcement in the center of this case describes how the school would combine the interpretive strengths of the Theological School with the philosophical and cultural studies of the College to develop an interdisciplinary academic conversation about modernity.  Programs for the many colloquia, including that of the notable April 1964 conference on Hermeneutics and the philosopher Martin Heidegger, are evidence of this ongoing conversation.  A generous endowment gift from Barbara and Finn Caspersen rechristened the school and propelled the specialized academic community forward into a new century.

 

Photograph of the Second Consultation on Hermeneutics in the Great Hall, of S.W. Bowne, 1964.

 

Newspaper clipping “Theologians Ask End of Slogans,” New York Times, April 12, 1964.

 

Program for the 1992 Graduate School Symposium “Conceptualizing Nature.”

The Graduate School/Caspersen School of Graduate Studies